+90 533 380 3828
+86 755 83752130

Education in South Korea

Which universities and majors I can apply for?

International students can enter the universities of South Korea immediately after graduating from the high school or after completing the preparatory courses of the Korean language at Korean universities. When submitting documents, a certificate of complete secondary education is required.

According to the Ministry of Education of South Korea, which has access to statistics on students in higher educational institutions, more than 160 thousand foreign students study in 430 educational institutions of the country as of April 1, 2019. Korean universities offer a huge range of study programs and specialties for undergraduate and graduate programs.

Hence, we can apply to any university in South Korea. We will help you to choose the best university according to your profile and preferences.

Where can I study Korean language?

There is a wide range of schools and universities offering Korean language courses to International students. Depending on the stay term – short-term or long-term

you can choose to enroll the university or language school.

Usually universities offer long-term programs, where minimum study term is 2 semesters, which is approximately 6 months. Also when applying to study language

in the university you can get documents to apply for visa to South Korea which is different from studying in language schools. Language schools offer short-term programs

In order for students to be able to enter the country on visa free conditions.

Together with language courses you can learn K-POP, prepare for TOPIK exam, learn how to cook, sing and dance.

Our Support

Before arrival to South Korea.

We provide free access to information about Korean language schools, Universities, scholarship opportunities, education system in South Korea and etc.

We assist in admission to higher education, draw up a plan for exam preparation, and analyze motivational letters.


After your arrival to South Korea.

We help to choose a hostel or an apartment, a studio with or without a deposit, we help you navigate in an unfamiliar country, for example, rent a mobile phone. We assist in opening a bank account or transferring funds. We are negotiating with the university and provide the necessary information throughout the entire training period.

For participants in our programs we provide interpretation services required for settling down, finding accommodation and other urgent cases.

We also have an airport pick up service.


Upon graduation the University in South Korea.

Employment-related services: writing a resume, translating a resume into Korean and English, posting resumes on websites and mailing to suitable vacancies.

What kind of study opportunities are provided for foreign students who wish to study in a Korean university, and where do I get admission information?

Degree studies: If you wish to study abroad in Korea, that is, to pursue a degree in a Korean university, first check the web site of the National Institute for International Education Development at http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr for details on eligibility, application, admission procedures, government scholarship programs, and others. The international admission process and the number of foreign students to be admitted are decided differently by each university, so you will then need to contact universities directly for their admission plan details. Basic requirements are that you must have completed more than twelve years of elementary to secondary education, you are not of a Korean nationality, and you have a good academic standing in previous education.

Bilateral Exchange: Korean universities hold numerous exchange programs with foreign universities, which are conducted on condition that the two universities concerned have contracted an agreement(MOU) for academic cooperation and exchange. Exchange programs, which usually last six months to one year for non-degree purposes, are established and administered by the universities themselves, so you should

(1) first check which Korean university holds an exchange agreement with your university, then

(2) contact the Korean university directly for information on their programs.

Transfer: Those who have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a four-year foreign university are eligible to transfer to a university in Korea as juniors. Universities are allowed to admit transfer students within 5% of the total junior student quota. Please check with each university for their individual admission requirements.

Do I have to pass the Korean Language Proficiency Test in order to study in Korea?

Foreigners do not necessarily have to possess excellent Korean language skills or pass the Korean Language Proficiency Test in order to apply for a Korean university. To support the study of foreigners, universities in Korea offer intensive Korean language training courses and are operating a growing number of courses taught exclusively in English and other foreign languages. Admission regulations regarding language proficiency can differ among universities, so please check with each individual university of your interest for details.

The Korean Language Proficiency Test is held yearly by the National Institute for International Education Development at test centers located in 44 cities in 16 countries. Information on the test including application, rating criteria, and test levels will be found at the Institute’s web site at http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr

What kind of Korean language programs do Korean universities offer for foreigners?

Many Korean universities offer intensive Korean language courses during regular terms(the usual university calendar in Korea is March~June and September~December) and in international Summer Schools. Below is a list of some universities best known for their Korean language programs:

  • Chung-Ang University (www.cau.ac.kr)
  • Ewha Womans University (www.ewha.ac.kr)
  • Korea University (www.ku.ac.kr)
  • Kyunghee University (www.khu.ac.kr)
  • Seoul National University (www.snu.ac.kr)
  • Yonsei University (www.yonsei.ac.kr)

In addition, for those who are not able to come to Korea to learn the language, the National Institute for International Education Development operates an online interactive Korean language learning site called KOSNET(Korean Language Study on the Internet) at http://www.interedu.go.kr

What kind of scholarships are available in Korea for foreign students?

At the governmental level, the Education Ministry offers a “Korean Government Scholarship” and a “Ph.D. < Master Studentship for Foreigners.”

Through the “Korean Government Scholarship,” over 200 international students receive financial support every year. Scholarships are offered to students from countries that hold cultural and educational agreements with the Republic of Korea. If you are interested in this scholarship, please contact your government or the Korean embassy in your country. Details can also be found at the National Institute for International Education Development (http://www.ied.go.kr, ¢?E¡EcEI82-2-3668-1305).

The “Ph.D. < Master Studentship for Foreigners” supports outstanding international students majoring in science < engineering. Details can be found at the Korea Research Foundation (http://www.krf.or.kr)

In addition, scholarships are offered by individual universities, mainly to those who have excellent academic records. Many offer a 50 percent tuition discount for international students, and some give a 70 percent discount. For Master’s programs, some universities can even give a 100 percent scholarship. Please contact each university of your interest for their scholarship program details.

Are foreign students studying in Korea allowed to have part-time jobs during their study?

Foreign students who have completed at least 6 months(1 semester) of study in a Korean university and who are recommended by a university professor are permitted to work part-time in Korea, within the limit of 20 hours per week during academic semesters. There is no limitation on working hours during vacation.

Whom should I contact for information on visa regulations for foreigners?

Please consult the Ministry of Justice at http://moj.go.kr for regulations on visa matters such as visa acquisition, extension and visa-status alteration. The ministry’s Immigration Bureau will answer your inquiries through an English Q&A board at http://www.moj.go.kr/HP/index.do.

I would like to know about student visas in Korea

Student visa (D-2)

A foreigner who desires to receive a regular course of education (undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D.) or to research in a specific area at a two-year college, university, or graduate school (including evening graduate school), established by the Higher Education Act, or at an academic research institute established and regulated by the Special Act (must be higher education than a two-year college).


Korean-Language Trainee (D-4-1)

Anyone wants to enroll in a regular Korean language study program (only regular daytime courses) at a language school at the university level.


※ For further information, please contact Korea Immigration Service directly.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.